AN INTRODUCTION TO EXPLORATIONS
EXPLORATIONS is a 16 page self-scoring Interest Inventory designed specifically for students in grades 10 - 12. First written in 1986 by
Brian Harris, B.A., M.Ed., EXPLORATIONS has been constantly revised to keep the content and career lists relevant to both changes
in school curriculum and society.
Back to Top
EXPLORATIONS can help students to identify their interests relating these to occupational choices. The
design of EXPLORATIONS has an added advantage of categorizing possible occupational choices by post-secondary
EXPLORATIONS, when used with the accompanying COUNSELLOR'S MANUAL, can assist students in achieving the following objectives:
- understand how abilities and interests relate to career/educational planning
- have a greater awareness of personal abilities and interests
- make more realistic choices for their future
- become more aware of the many available resources that can assist with career/educational planning
- develop a career vocabulary
- understand the terminology and jargon related to post-secondary education/training
- understand personal strengths and weaknesses in choosing high school courses
- begin to understand the prerequisites required for specific post-secondary education/training options
- be more aware of career trends
- be more aware of internet sites that can assist in career/educational planning
- better understand how individual differences affect career/educational planning
- be more aware of school/community resources available to assist with career/educational planning
- identify career categories and related careers
- better understand how specific school courses relate to specific careers
- better understand that career education is a lifelong process
- begin to understand the factors involved in choosing a career and in career satisfaction
- provides a concrete resource for students to show their parents related to one aspect of their future planning
The five reasons counsellors, teachers and career advisors most often choose EXPLORATIONS are:
- EXPLORATIONS is a proven resource that has now been used by students for more than 20 years. The results demonstrate
high coefficients in congruent validity, predictive validity and reliability. EXPLORATIONS is chosen as a career/educational
planning resource for students because it works. Content and career lists are updated on a regular basis to keep
- EXPLORATIONS can assist students in identifying their interests and understanding how interests play a role in
educational/career planning and job satisfaction. As the career lists within EXPLORATIONS are organized by
broad post-secondary educational/training possibilities, this can help students identify goals for after high school
even when they are unable to identify a specific career path.
- EXPLORATIONS is a self-scoring book with questions, scoring and interpretative material all contained in one booklet.
This helps to make EXPLORATIONScost effective as there is no need to purchase additional scoring or interpretive
guides. Parents have also commented favourably on this aspect of EXPLORATIONS as they are able to see and
understand their son/daughter's results when the book is taken home.
- Students are exposed to career lists of almost 500 careers. These careers relate to a wide range of possible
educational/training experiences. In addition, the careers are organized by broad post-secondary educational/training
categories which can assist students in planning an educational/training path for after high school.
- EXPLORATIONS can be ordered in any quantity. Orders from 1 to more than 10,000 books will be filled quickly.
Schools/career centres can order by VISA, purchase order or simply have your school/career centre invoiced
when you receive the order. Orders can be sent by email, fax, telephone, or mail.
EXPLORATIONS gives students the advantage of seeing and understanding the process of how interests relate to educational/
career planning. This can teach students lifelong skills in understanding a process that may be performed without their
understanding when they use a computer based program. In addition, students will be exposed to career lists of almost 500 careers
when they use EXPLORATIONS. Often, in computer based Interest Inventories, students only see their
end result which is often a list of less than 10 careers. Exposing students to a comprehensive list of careers can help
them increase their career vocabulary which can be beneficial in providing more flexible and broader choices for their future,
an objective that is very important with the age group that EXPLORATIONS is designed for. As well, students can keep the
complete EXPLORATIONS book for future reference or to show their parents. In computer based Interest Inventories,
students often only keep the final print-out of careers which doesn't allow either themselves or their parents to view
the complete process for future reference or meaningful discussion.
Back to Top
EXPLORATIONS can be
ordered by email, fax, telephone or mail. Orders are shipped within 24
hours of receiving the order. To access
an order form select ORDER FORM.
Back to Top